The Cepparello Toscana IGT from Isole e Olena is the winery's flagship and has been an absolute top wine for years.
In the glass, the Cepparello shines an intense ruby red, the nose reveals an exceptionally intense, concentrated fruity bouquet with aromas of ripe red fruits, black cherry, plums, cranberry, caramelized orange and citrus peel, floral notes, roasted herbs, pepper, tobacco and mineral nuances. Full-bodied, full-bodied, with ripe and full tannins, supported by a good acid structure, balanced and already very elegant. The finish is endlessly long, full of finesse, aromatic complexity and persistence.
A wonderful wine with considerable ageing potential!
Vinification of the Cepparello Toscana IGT from Isole e Olena
With this wine, Isole e Olena has vinified one of the first Super Tuscans made from 100% Sangiovese, instead of a Chianti Classico Riserva. Only the best Sangiovese grapes from old vines from the 60s and 70s are used, as well as a few from newly planted vines from the 80s. The vineyards are located between 350 and 450 meters above sea level and face southwest.
Depending on the vintage, the grapes macerate for 16 to 28 days, during which the skins are lifted several times to promote the extraction of tannins and colouring from the skins, and the grape seeds are removed from the must using a special process. Fermentation takes place at a controlled temperature. Once the must has been separated from the marc, the wine is aged for 18 months in French oak barriques, 30% of which are new. The wine then rests in the bottle for a certain amount of time before being sold.
Dining recommendations for the Cepparello Toscana IGT from Isole e Olena
A top wine from Tuscany that is an excellent accompaniment to typical, intensely flavored Tuscan dishes, white meat in sauce, red meat and game, grilled or braised venison and feathered game, well-matured cheeses. You can also enjoy this Super Tuscan on its own on a cozy evening with wine connoisseurs.
Awards for the Cepparello Toscana IGT from Isole e Olena
- Gambero Rosso: 3 glasses for 2015, 2013, 2012, 2009, 2007, 2006, 2005
- Gambero Rosso: 2 glasses for 2014 (a difficult year)
- James Suckling: 96 points for 2015, 91 points for 2014; 94 points for 2013, 2012 and 2009, 95 points for 2011, 93 points for 2010, 92 points for 2008
- Wine Enthusiast: 94 points for 2014, 95 points for 2013 and 2012, 92 points for 2011, 96 points for 2010
- Robert Parker: 95 points for 2014, 2010, 2009, 2005, 97 points for 2013, 93 points for 2012, 92+ points for 2008, 96 points for 2007 and 2006
- More products from Isole e Olena