Winery Weinrieder in the Weinviertel
"Ingenuity is often just a millimeter away from disaster" - This is the motto of the Weinrieder Winery.
The Weinrieder wine estate, run by father Friedrich and son Lukas Rieder, is located in Kleinhadersdorf, a village with 500 inhabitants, in the municipality of Poysdorf, which can be found in the Weinviertel region of Lower Austria. The winery was founded almost 100 years ago in 1928, when grandfather Franz was laid off as a bank employee. Without further ado, he retrained as a vintner. After the area was particularly known for its sour wines, which were often only suitable as base wines for sparkling wine, it was Franz' grandson Fritz who decided in 1979 to break new ground and produce noble sweet wines. His 1980 Müller-Thurgau received an astonishing 21 out of 20 possible points from an Austrian magazine.
But especially the dry wines still needed some changes, as they were coarse and unfiligree. In the course of the following years, the quality was constantly improved by constant changes in the wine production.
In order to distinguish himself by name, Fritz called his winery Weinrieder and also had this name protected under patent law.
The next generation is also already involved. Son Lukas, born in 1989, completed his vintner training at Leo Alzinger in Wachau until 2008, which was followed by an internship at the German star vintner Klaus Peter Keller from Rheinhessen. The older son Bernhard, born in 1986, is also involved in the company in terms of marketing and travels all over the world to present the wines of Weinrieder.
The vineyards of Weinrieder
The vineyards of Weinrieder cover an area of 20 hectares and are located in the best south and south-west locations in the Lower Austrian Weinviertel. The soils are loess and loam, with a balanced microclimate.
The grape varieties
Only white grape varieties are planted at Weinrieder:
- Grüner Veltliner
- Pinot Blanc
Weinrieder 's viticulture is close to nature, through the protection of beneficial insects, greening, rigorous yield restriction through short pruning and consistent thinning out. Harvesting takes place late in the season, the grapes are then gently processed, and cellar technology is used only minimally.
The natural wines are fermented in chilled stainless steel tanks, followed by long ageing on the fine lees in the same tanks. White wines make up 95% of Weinrieder's production, the remaining 5% are sweet wines.
Weinrieder exports to 30 countries worldwide and to the best restaurants.
The wines and also the Weinrieder winery itself are virtually showered with awards. For example, Falstaff named Weinrieder "Winemaker of the Year", A la Carte named the Rieder family " Discovery of the Year" and Weinwelt also named Weinrieder " Riesling Producer of the Year", to name just a few awards.
Awards and titles were given by, among others:
- A la Carte
- Robert Parker
- Hong Kong International Wine Challenge
- Gault Millau
- Wine World
- Gambero Rosso
- Wine Enthusiast
More information about Weinrieder
|Street:||Untere Ortsstrasse 44|
|Region:||Lower Austria Weinviertel|
|Contact & Web|
|Year of Incorporation:||1928|
|Company Owner:||Rieder family|
|Managing Director:||Friedrich Rieder|
|Oenologist:||Friedrich and Lukas Rieder|
|Vineyard Area:||20 ha|